As early as 1827 the Royal Marines had earned 109 battle honours and at that point the King, George IV, decreed that they should use the globe as their badge as they had fought in all theatres around the world. From that point on the globe became the symbol for the Royal Marines and when they adopted cap badges, it was this symbol that formed the basis of their badge, surrounded by laurel leaves that had been granted to the Corps in 1761 for the capture of Belles Isle. Finally the badge was surmounted by the royal crown and today we are looking at a pre-1952 example of this badge with a King’s crown:
Although worn on the green beret today, during the first half of the twentieth century the badge was to be seen regularly on a variety of headwear. It was worn on the peakless Brodrick type caps the Corps wore for many years after the army had dropped them, the peaked service dress cap and increasingly in the Second World War on the beret. The Royal Marines used two distinctive types of beret, the famous green beret for Commando trained marines and the dark blue beret with red tombstone backing for non-commando trained marines. This dark blue beret continues to be worn by those in the corps who have not completed commando training such as recruits, cadets and bandsmen and women.
The rear of this cap has a pair of lugs and is attached using a split pin: