This week we have the second in our series depicting ceremonial military ceremonies around London at the turn of the twentieth century and this postcard shows the mounted guard at Whitehall:
The two different horse guards regiments of the time can be seen on either side of the road. Furthest form the artist are the Royal Horse Guards in their distinctive blue uniforms and red plumes:
Closest to us are the mounted troopers of the Life Guards in their red uniforms and white helmet plumes:
Between the two squadrons can be seen the officers of the respective regiments:
The mounted guard at Whitehall has been in place since 1660 and the guard is still changed daily to the modern day at 11.00am each weekday morning and 10.00am on Sundays. The ceremony runs as follows:
The Old Guard forms up on the North side of the enclosure in Horse Guards.
When the New Guard arrives the trumpeters of both the Old and New Guard sound a Royal Salute.
When both Guards have formed up in the enclosure, the Corporal Major, and the sentries of the first relief of the New Guard leave for the Guard Room.
The sentries of the Old Guard, after being relieved, rejoin the remainder of the Old Guard on the north side of the enclosure.
When the Old Guard departs the trumpeters again sound a Royal Salute.
The New Guard then ride through the arch where they will dismount and the horses led to their stables.