This week’s photograph has helpfully been captioned on the back with details as to what it depicts. According to the caption, this is the guard of honour for Field Marshal Allenby’s landing from HMS Ceres on the 28th November 1919:
The Guard of Honour is made up of men from the King’s Liverpool Regiment and they can be seen lined up on the quayside in preparation for the Field Marshal’s landing:
The building itself is very distinctive and allows us to precisely identify the location. This is the Suez Canal Authority Building in Port Said and remains one of the most impressive buildings in the port.
An extensive restoration program was started in 2019 to bring it back to its former glory as reported by the Luxor Times in January of that year:
Dr. Mustafa explained that in the framework of cooperation between the Ministry of Antiquities and the Suez Canal Authority, the Standing Committee for Islamic Antiquities agreed that the Arab Contractors Company to start the restoration work, under the complete archaeological and engineering supervision of the Ministry of Antiquities, adding that the Suez Canal Authority will finance the work of the project.
The building of the old Suez Canal Authority is located in the first district of the city of Ismailia, it separates it from the Delispace Street Break, it is the first building used for the Suez Canal Authority, that was opened in 1869. The building combines the Arab Islamic and European character. It consists of a rectangular area A large open by the units of the building that consists of more than one hundred rooms and the most important is the penthouse that advance the rooms and are mounted on wooden poles and covered by a wooden ceiling in the form of flap as there is a corridor or basement leads to a break Dalybes.